Well hi there! If you’re reading this, it’s probably because we just started working together. This abnormal and possibly self-absorbed document is my attempt to get us started on the right foot. I stole the idea from here and here.
If you want to talk to me, ping me on chat. Use the most appropriate team room if at all possible (and beware of private conversations), but if it needs to be private, then a 1-1 message is fine.
If it’s something that will take longer than a minute or two to chat about, then let’s jump onto a video call.
I work 9am-5pm ET with an hour lunch break every day, and that leaves a few hours a week to do at night in the quiet to hit my regular 40 hours. I almost never start before 9am or end after 5pm.
I sometimes have a bad habit of sending people messages in off hours just because I get an exciting idea and I want to get it out, but I don’t expect you to respond until your regular working hours start back up.
I am almost impossible to offend. If you have feedback for me, positive or negative, please just say it honestly. I promise to do my absolute best to ponder on it and respond thoughtfully and curiously rather than defensively.
If you prefer to receive feedback in a certain way then please let me know.
I’m a bit of a goofball and I try to keep things light. I’m usually in a good mood. If my goofing around is annoying to you then that’s cool – let me know and I’ll ease up. It happens.
If I ever seem mad or upset about something, then I can almost guarantee that it’s just coming across like that because I’m excited or passionate about it.
What I value
- No broken windows
- Action over discussion
- Cult-like team pride
- Involving the stakeholder
What I’m good at
- I’m good at dealing with people and caring about them.
- I’m good at staying positive but realistic.
- I’m good at seeing the big picture.
- I’m good at staying organized and responsive.
What I need help with
- I’m not a great programmer. You are likely a better programmer than me.
- I’m not good at saying things that I know will upset people.
- I’m not much of a traveler – I avoid it as much as possible.
- I’m not good at making sure the details are present and correct (edge cases, missing automated tests, proper documentation, etc.).
My questions for you
- What are your preferred working hours?
- How do you want me to communicate with you?
- How do you want to receive feedback?
- What are you good at?
- What are you bad at?
- Anything else I should know for working with you?