If you don’t know what this is, check out my goals page.
Last round wrap up: March 29 – June 20, 2021
- I’m a month late on posting this because performance review madness and then vacation caused me to be doing the bare minimum with my personal growth in the past month. Sorry, self!
- I had a few this round where the goal ended up being misguided, but the purpose behind it was still important. This makes me think that maybe my goals should be a little more open ended and theme-esque, and maybe a little less SMORT.
Goal 1: Perform some sort of public speaking at least 3 times
- Week 1: Identify the next public speaking opportunity
- Weeks 2-4: Give a talk
- Week 5: Identify the next public speaking opportunity
- Weeks 6-8: Give a talk
- Week 9: Identify the next public speaking opportunity
- Weeks 10-12: Give a talk
How it went: I abandoned this quickly because I realized it was just treating a symptom of social anxiety, rather than the cause. Instead, I focused on the source. I read a book on social anxiety and worked on the things that book suggests. I’ll create a post on that later. So the spirit of this goal was still achieved, but the goal itself ended up missing the point.
Goal 2: Read to my kids every day
- Read 10+ minutes to Henry and Charlie every night before bed
- Read at least 1 book to William every night before bed
How it went: I abandoned the reading itself because the kids got tired of it, but I’ve been consistent at doing SOMETHING with each kid before bed. William usually wants me to help him with a video game, and Charlie and Henry like me to ask them riddles and open ended questions about the day. So again, the spirit of this one succeeded, but the goal missed the point.
Goal 3: Fix the kitchen sink and garage door
- Week 1: Install a new faucet
- Week 3: Get the garage door fixed
- Week 5: Get the sink fixed
- Weeks 6-12: Celebrate about finally fixing that crap after 7 stupid years
How it went: I did it! Oh happy day!
Goal 4: Run 250 miles (attempt #2)
- Run an average of at least 21 miles each week.
How it went: I ran 219.5 miles in this 12 week period, so that’s 88% of my goal. The 12 Week Year says you should always hit at least 85% of your goal, so I barely squeaked by on this one.