We all know about SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Results-oriented, Time-bound). But they’re missing the PIPE:
- Present tense – not future tense
- Identity focused – who you are, not what you do
- Positive – never set a goal that a dead person can do better than you
- Expansive – leave room for growth
Here’s an example:
- “I will lose 30 pounds”
- (Present tense) “I have lost 30 pounds”
- (Identity focused) “I am 30 pounds lighter”
- (Positive) “I weigh 150 pounds, giving me a healthy BMI”
- (Expansive) “I weigh 150 pounds or less, giving me a healthy BMI”
An example from my own goals:
- Before: I want to finish a full marathon in under 3 hours.
- After: I am a sub-3h marathon runner.
Feels more vivid and more within reach. The name SMARTPIPE needs some workshopping though…