We all know about SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Results-oriented, Time-bound). But they’re missing the PIPE:
- Present tense – not future tense
- Identity focused – who you are, not what you do
- Positive – never set a goal that a dead person can do better than you
- Expansive – leave room for growth
Here’s an example:
- “I will lose 30 pounds”
- (Present tense) “I have lost 30 pounds”
- (Identity focused) “I am 30 pounds lighter”
- (Positive) “I weigh 150 pounds, giving me a healthy BMI”
- (Expansive) “I weigh 150 pounds or less, giving me a healthy BMI”
An example from my own goals:
- Before: I want to finish a full marathon in under 3 hours.
- After: I am a sub-3h marathon runner.
Feels more vivid and more within reach. The name SMARTPIPE needs some workshopping though…
Thanks for reading! Subscribe via email or RSS, follow me on Twitter, or discuss this post on Reddit!