I’ve heard a couple times that Winston Churchill refused to read any memos longer than a page. So I looked it up and, while I can’t find any proof of that, I found this memo he wrote:
I’ve ranted a lot about overly fluffy writing:
- Write shorter nonfiction. Please.
- Write 5x more but write 5x less
- Use the smallest word that does the job
- Writing that’s meant to be seen and not read
- There’s STILL too much text on slide presentations
So I guess that makes Churchill my new hero. The last paragraph is especially beautiful. And I love how the memo itself is an example of the kind of writing he wants to see.
Thanks for reading! Subscribe via email or RSS, follow me on Twitter, or discuss this post on Reddit!