I’ve heard a couple times that Winston Churchill refused to read any memos longer than a page. So I looked it up and, while I can’t find any proof of that, I found this memo he wrote:
I’ve ranted a lot about overly fluffy writing:
- Write shorter nonfiction. Please.
- Write 5x more but write 5x less
- Use the smallest word that does the job
- Writing that’s meant to be seen and not read
- There’s STILL too much text on slide presentations
So I guess that makes Churchill my new hero. The last paragraph is especially beautiful. And I love how the memo itself is an example of the kind of writing he wants to see.