(Some of these are taken/adapted from Lara Hogan’s list)
(Make sure to ask lots of follow up questions on these two especially.)
- What do you want in a manager? And what do you not want?
- What makes 1-1s valuable for you? What makes them a waste of time?
🌱 Goals and Support
- What are your goals for the next three months? How about the next year?
- What made you choose those goals?
- What do you need from others (me, the team, etc.) to hit those goals?
- Do you have any longer term career aspirations, like 5-10 years out?
💬 Feedback and Recognition
- How do you like feedback (in Slack vs. in person, immediately vs. the next 1-1, etc.)?
- How do you want to receive recognition (public vs. private, for example)?
- What should your team do to treat you or make you feel appreciated or cared for?
- What makes you grumpy or low-energy?
- How will I know when you’re feeling that way?
- How can I help you when that happens?
- Anything else I should know that will help me be the best manager I can for you?