I stumbled on this article yesterday and it sent me down a stretching-based rabbit hole. Here’s my summary:
What (static) stretching does:
- Increases flexibility
- Weakens muscles and decreases performance (in the short term)
- Feels pretty good (depending on the stretch)
What (static) stretching doesn’t do:
If you want to:
- Warm up for an activity? Do the activity at a lower intensity for a few minutes.
- Avoid getting injured? Warm up 👆 before starting exercise (and hydrate, sleep enough, use good form, etc.).
- Increase flexibility? Follow a widely used stretching routine.
Thanks for reading! Subscribe via email or RSS, follow me on Twitter, or discuss this post on Reddit!