12 week goals: April 4 – June 26, 2022
- Starting a new job went well but took more out of me than I expected. It didn’t leave much mental energy for other goals in my life.
- Bulking at a slow and steady rate is harder than I thought. I either seem to gain weight way too fast, or not gain at all. I need to figure out my exact TDEE.
- Summer messed with my running and lifting routine a good bit. I underestimated how much having the kids at home would change things.
Goal 1: Ramp up at my new job 🎉
How it went: SUCCESS! And I’m loving it at GitHub so far, and I feel like I’m off to a great start.
✅ Weeks 1-3: Re-read An Elegant Puzzle to brush up
✅ Week 4: Onboarding
✅ Weeks 5-8: Meet everyone, build relationships, ask questions, build a 60 day plan with manager
✅ Weeks 9-12: Start delivering on my 60 day plan
Goal 2: Do six 40-before-40 adventures
How it went: HALF SUCCESS and HALF FAILURE
✅ Weeks 1-2: Live sports game (probably hockey)
❌ Weeks 3-4: Volunteer at a race (I signed up but had to cancel due to a short notice weekend trip)
✅ Weeks 5-6: Clear out the attic 😱
❌ Weeks 7-8: Rock climbing gym (I just never made this one happen because I suck)
❌ Weeks 9-10: Compete in a Savage Race (I signed up but it ended up being the day after getting back from a work offsite so I was jet lagged and didn’t have it in me).
✅ Weeks 11-12: Swim in a lake
Goal 3: Do the most important house things
How it went: SUCCESS!
❌ Weeks 1-4: Get a new fridge (didn’t do this but it was a conscious decision to focus on other areas of the house which we did do, so I don’t call it a loss.)
✅ Weeks 5-8: Convert our garage into a gym (this has been awesome)
✅ Weeks 9-12: Move my office downstairs into the old nursery
Goal 4: Build five pounds of lean muscle
How it went: MEH!
Mixed results here. Things that went well:
- I stuck with the lifting routine
- The garage gym helped a lot
- I bulked for the first 6 weeks as planned
Things that didn’t go well:
- I bulked too hard and gained ~13 pounds in 6 weeks
- For the next 6 weeks, I have stagnated without bulking or cutting
- I haven’t gone to the actual gym as planned
So I definitely gained some decent muscle, but I also gained more fat than planned, and now I have to cut longer than I hoped for.
Goal 5: Run a half marathon in 1:50
How it went: SUCCESS-ish!
I ran the Mountains to Main Street HM in 1:51 which obviously isn’t 1:50 but it’s close enough for me to call it a win. It was an 8-minute PR for me, and the first three miles are really hilly so I feel confident that I would have broken 1:50 on a flat course.
By the way, I’m going to wait a month before starting a new 12WY cycle because I have a week-long vacation and a week-long work offsite in July.