As part of my year of connection, I’m going to experiment with a weekly journal here to connect with myself. You’ll probably be bored if you read this.
Let’s start with a vowel check:
- A – Have I practiced abstinence this week? From time wasting stuff, yes. From bad food, mostly. From losing my temper, yes.
- E – Have I exercised well this week? Kind of, not really. Two weight sessions and two runs. I’m doing a half marathon race next week so I could call this a taper week. But really, my 4 year old started throwing up and threw exercise for a loop. Sickness strikes again.
- I – What have I done for myself this week? Scheduled a therapy appointment – my first one ever.
- O – What have I done for others this week? Doing my best to take care of my sick kids. That’s all I’ve got this week.
- U – Do I have any unexpressed emotions? Just annoyed and grumpy that sickness is back again and throwing a wrench into our normal routine. But expressing that won’t do anyone any good.
- Y – The “yeah” factor; what brought me joy this week? We went to the Columbia Zoo and a giraffe came right up to us and let us pet it. That was pretty amazing.
Last week’s plans vs. reality:
- Weekly experiment: Writing an answer to this question every night: “If you could live this day over again, what would you change?” I did it and so far the results were pretty boring. Surprisingly had a few days where the answer was “nothing.” I’m gonna keep doing it in case it was just a boring week.
- Mistake of ambition: Signing up the initial cohort (4-5 people) for an internal coaching training that I’m putting together at work. I posted about it but only got 1 signup so far. But to be fair it was the day before promotion packets were due so managers were swamped. I’ll post again early next week.
- Looking forward to: Monday is MLK day so no school/work! Weather is supposed to be nice so I’m gonna try to drag my kids somewhere outside, maybe Paris Mountain. Ended up going to the Columbia Zoo which was fantastic.
- Stressing me out: Finding a therapist that I have rapport with, and getting through the initial “getting to know you” phase and the intro awkwardness. Made an appointment so we’ll see how it goes! Progress feels good.
Takeaways from last week:
- Nothing much. Not a bad week!
- What’s my next weekly experiment? Say “let me write about that and get back to you” at least once per day. Trying to build the habit.
- What’s my next mistake of ambition? Post in my work Slack to gauge interest about a “Peopleware therapy office hours” thing.
- What am I looking forward to? Driving across the state on Monday evening and staying in a hotel that night, so my 9-year-old can compete in the state spelling bee. Should be a fun little trip! 🚗
- What is stressing me out? Things have calmed down at work, which means I am not being yanked around, which means I have free time, which means I need to think strategically and proactively about what I’m doing, which means I could make the wrong choice!
Thanks for reading! Subscribe via email or RSS, follow me on Twitter, or discuss this post on Reddit!